Eduroam stands for Education Roaming which is a federation of institutions that offers Internet connectivity to the roaimng users of all other member institutions. This is done by accepting the credentials from the user's home institution through a RADIUS hierarchy.
Eduroam initially started as a European initiative, but become international over the time. The list of participanting countries and for further information go to http://www.eduroam.org.
Eduroam in Hungary also built on a hierarchical manner, using RADIUS proxies, with a top-level operated and coordinated by NIIFI. NIIF become a member of the eduroam confederation since the beginning of 2006.
The NIIF eduroam pilot was developed in the Campus IPv6 project.The service is running in production since 2008 november.
Service definition and Policy documentations:
- International Roaming documents - eduroam documents
- Roaming policy documentation - produced by TERENA TF mobility working group - accepted by eduroam parners
- GN2 eduroam service definition documentation - produced by GN2 JRA5 and SA5 working group - accepted by all European NRENs
- GN2 eduroam policy documentation - produced by GN2 JRA5 and SA5 working group - accepted by all European NRENs
- National roaming documents
- NIIF eduroam policy - available only in Hungarian on the Hungarian eduroam site
- Technical and User guide about the eduroam systems implemented at NIIF
- Cookbook produced by GN2 JRA5 working group